The National Data Opt-Out was introduced on 25 May 2018, enabling patients to opt out from the use of their data for anything other than their individual care and treatment, for example research or planning purposes, in line with the recommendations of the National Data Guardian in her Review of Data Security, Consent and Opt-Outs
The national data opt-out is a service that allows Residents to opt out of their confidential medical information being used for research and planning, where the information is sent to:
- University researcher’s agreement
- Hospital researchers
- Medical royal colleges
- Pharmaceutical companies researching new treatments
Organisations must be transparent with the information they handle about residents as to how and when their preference has been applied. As an organisation we are fulfilling our obligation to make provision to inform patients of our compliance with the NHS National Data opt-out policy
As a Care Home Provider, we have an obligation to be compliant by informing our Residents of their right to choose and provide assistance if needed with opting out of their information being used for research and planning within the NHS.
Please note the company does not share residents’ details with any pharmaceutical, medical or other researchers and do not use sensitive information for purposes beyond an individual’s care and treatment.
We can provide the following information available from the home manager on request for Residents or their LPOA/Next of Kin who do not have capacity to understand.
- Your Information Matters to the NHS – Easy Read Version
- Your Data Matters to the NHS – Resident Handouts
If you are happy for information to be shared you do not need to anything.
For residents who do not want their information shared for research and planning purposes, you can opt out by the following ways below:
- To opt out safely online, please visit https://your-data-matters.service.nhs.uk (Resident will need a valid email address, mobile number and postcode of their GP Surgery)
- To opt out over the telephone please call: 0300 303 5678 NHS Digital Contact Centre, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays)
- To opt out by Post Resident to do themselves – “Manage your choice NHS Data out by Post”
- To opt out by Post on behalf of a Resident who doesn’t have capacity– “Manage another person’s choice on their behalf NHS Data out by Post” This can only be done by individual who holds:
We will keep a record of a decision but please note, Residents can change their mind at any time